December 8, 2014 – A new study published in the journal Particle and Fibre Toxicology uncovers the risk of developing mesothelioma at the hands of exposure to a hazardous synthetic material used in many electronics and textile manufacturing. The artificial material is molecules comprised of multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) that contain carbon and are molded into rounded tubes. MWCNTs are desirable to use in certain products because of their durability and the fact that they are impervious to rust and corrosion.
Regardless of their usefulness, the German based research study reveals that there is a link between exposure to MWCNTs and malignant mesothelioma. Due to their very small size, the risk of inhalation is great. Moreover, similar to asbestos, MWCNTs form a toxic dust that can inadvertently be ingested. This put workers who come in contact with the synthetic material at a risk of developing mesothelioma.
Researchers conducted a study to examine the molecules that comprise MWCNTs and determine the risk of carcinogenic exposure from the artificial material. Specifically, the study compared and contrasted exposure to both MWCNTs and asbestos. The research used lab animals to conduct their analysis. More than 500 animals were injected with MWCNTs. To adequately compare the data, a second group of animals were infused with asbestos.
The study findings were alarming, especially for people that routinely work with materials containing MWCNTS. Specifically the research revealed:
1. All of the lab animals acquired a malignant form of the disease called peritoneal mesothelioma.
2. The lab animals exposed to MWCNTS developed additional mesothelioma tumors on the lining of their abdomen and peritoneal organs, including the diaphragm. This finding implies a more severe form of cancer resulted from exposure to MWCNTS as compared to asbestos exposure.
3. The time period that the lab animals became afflicted with mesothelioma tumors was different. Scientists infer that the shape and size of MWCNTS impact when the disease will develop.
4. The shape of the MWCNTs affect the rate when cancerous mesothelioma will develop. Specifically, certain types of MWCNTs are more toxic than others and result in a mesothelioma diagnosis closest to the time of exposure. The molecules that are straight, without any curves, resulted in the formation of tumors first. Slightly curved MWCNTs were next, with the most curved molecules resulting in a delayed appearance of mesothelioma tumors in the animals.
5. There are similarities in the types of mesothelioma that the lab animals were plagued with and that humans develop.
In conclusion, researchers report that exposure to synthetic MWCNTs is as dangerous, and carries the same risk of mesothelioma, as being exposed to the natural borne fibers of asbestos. Philadelphia asbestos lawyers at Shein Law want to ensure that New Jersey and Pennsylvania residents are aware of this newly found risk of mesothelioma so that they can safeguard themselves against developing the fast-growing cancer.
Philadelphia Mesothelioma Lawyers at Shein Law Fight for those Diagnosed with Mesothelioma
Philadelphia mesothelioma lawyers at Shein Law have been providing skillful representation to those afflicted with mesothelioma for 30 years. If you or your loved one has been exposed to asbestos or another known carcinogen, such as MWCNTs, you may be entitled to compensation. Call the Philadelphia mesothelioma law firm of Shein Law today to schedule your free confidential consultation at 1-877-SHEINLAW (743-4652) or submit an online inquiry form.